It looks like Hayao Miyazaki has broken his retirement plans yet again! And that's good news for fans of Studio Ghibli, which looks to have reopened for business! Details are not clear yet as to whether this means they are working on Miyazaki's 'Boro the Caterpillar' film, or whether it indicates an all new project? Read about the details here.
"In 2013 Miyazaki said he was retiring and that his last film would be the bittersweet WWII drama “The Wind Rises.” That retirement was short-lived though as last year during the nationally televised Japanese television special “The Man Who Is Not Done: Hayao Miyazaki,” the acclaimed anime director hinted that he wanted to come out of retirement and make another film. Was a comeback in the works?
The inevitable was eventually confirmed as we found out that Miyazaki was secretly working on “Boro the Caterpillar,” a film which was intended as a short, but which the Japanese master said left him with an unsatisfied feeling. Last fall, the director has presented a proposal to make a full length movie, and started working on storyboards, with a goal to release the film in 2019, right before the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Details are yet to come, but if we needed any kind of good news on this Friday it’s that Studio Ghibli’s production department has officially been reopened today. Miyazaki is at work on his new feature, which is either a feature length version of “Boro the Caterpillar,” or something else entirely. We’ll find out in time."