Here's something newsworthy, especially for fans of Makoto Shinkai's work. His latest anime film 'Your Name' has been the big anime success story in Japan!
Since launching on August 26 in Japan, Makoto Shinkai’s Your Name (Kimi no Na wa) has been an unstoppable force at the Japanese box office, and it has now become Japan’s highest-grossing non-Miyazaki animated feature of all-time with a tally-to-date of US$111 million.
Here’s a few other box office achievements since its release:
- The number one film in Japan for five consecutive weeks.
- Currently the top-grossing Japanese film of 2016, and the highest-grossing film in Japan since the 2014 release of Frozen.
- Currently the seventh-highest-grossing Japanese film of all-time, and the 19th-highest-grossing film amongst all movies ever released in Japan.
Shinkai, whose previous works include 5 Centimeters Per Second and The Garden of Words, also wrote the screenplay for Your Name, a genre-mashing sci-fi/fantasy/romance that revolves around two teenagers who have never met one another yet start appearing in each others’ dreams.
- The first non-Miyazaki anime to cross the 10 billion yen (approximately US$100 million) mark at the Japanese box office.
- ‘Your Name’ Becomes First Non-Miyazaki Anime to Top $100 Million in Japan Cartoon Brew
'Your Name' is currently the highest grossing film in Japan this year, and has made it to the #5 spot for the highest grossing anime film of all time in Japan, beating out Hayao Miyazaki's 'The Wind Rises.' Although Miyazaki still dominates the top four slots.
Shinkai's film has now surpassed the 2013 Japanese box office total of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's The Wind Rises (12.02 billion yen or US$118.6 million). At the Japanese box office, your name. is now the 5th highest-grossing anime film (after Ponyo's 15.50 billion yen or US$152.9 million), the 6th highest-grossing Japanese film, and 15th highest-grossing Japanese or overseas film overall.
In addition to The Wind Rises, your name. has now earned more in Japan than Jurassic Park and Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. The only anime films to earn more than your name. are Ghibli and Miyazaki's Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, and Ponyo.
Shinkai's latest is already 2016's highest-grossing film in Japan. The film reached 10 billion yen faster than Disney's Frozen, which closed in Japan after earning 25.4 billion yen in the box office to become Japan's #3 highest-grossing film of all time after Spirited Away and Titanic. Frozen reached 10 billion yen in 37 days while your name. reached the same milestone in 28 days.
- Shinkai's 'your name.' Tops The Wind Rises as #5 Anime Film of All Time in Japan ANN
TOHO released a new trailer to celebrate the film's success.